Monday, May 3, 2010

The Adventures of Jimmy Corrigan

 

This graphic novel was both beautiful and hard to read.  A lot of times I found myself confused as to weather the character was an adult or a child and the titled assisted in my confusion greatly.  The main character looks like and adult and some points but then resembles a child at others, but his face and wrinkles stay the same throughout the piece.  It was hard to stay with the story.  Other than my confusion of the orientation of the character the presentation is beautiful.  The images are very posterized and flat.  The transitions between images are unique and work to the advantage of the story.  One can’t rely on the emotion and gesture of the character to spill out what they are feeling; it is the staging that surrounds the character that makes it work.  Some images are tight around the character that give a claustrophobic feeling where as other are very spaced out isolating the main character.  The use of many close up images would be hard to communicate in an animatic or just big images one page at a time.  But the way that multiple images are staged onto one page allows for the establishing shot to be included but not.

I had a love hate relationship with this book and maybe if I read through it a second time I will get a better understanding of it but that is something I will need to explore in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment