Monday, May 3, 2010

Windsor McCay’s Little Nemo in Slumberland (Rewrite)

Looking back at one of the first comics that I had read in this class I can simply say that this comic had a lot of influence as to how I based my posts and my understanding of the comics that I was reading.  When I first read the comics I reminisced back to when I was a child and where my imagination took me.  As a result I began to ask myself in every comic or graphic novel if I could find myself relating to that story or find myself placed directly in the story.  After an entire semester of reading comic I do not think that I could name a comic that better placed me in the mindscape of my childhood and my relationships with what was around me.

Artistic the comic is not one that gets very high recognition and most people would not tell you that this is a comic that has changed their life dramatically.  I for one am not a follower, and can honestly say that this comic was an eye opener to many things.  The comic opened my view on comics to not that just of context but also the staging quality and the application of my lessons in my concept class to the reading of a comic or graphic novel.  It also opened my eyes to why I am here studying Computer Animation and what were my goals in life and how would I get there. Windsor McCay’s Little Nemo in Slumberland most people would ride off as just another comic but for me this comic was in a way life changing.

Nemo in Slumberland was not the most artistic or concept applied piece that I have read in this class but it was one that held it own and fought for appreciation.  If the images had been more glamorous or if the characters actually had character I do not think I would have related as much as I have with it.  With the character conforming to the other around them and little action being taken paralleled what I had been doing all semester and it way a huge wake up call for me.

Nemo in Slumberland is by far not recognized for its relationship with the audience but instead is recognized for its lack in the image department.  But its lack is what makes the piece such an asset.  It allows the viewer to relate without all the jumbled mess of the extra stuff thrown into most animatics. Windsor McCay’s Little Nemo in Slumberland is not one of my favorite comics but I can honestly say that reading it has been a life changing experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment