Monday, May 3, 2010

Battle Angel Alita

Battle Angel Alita was the first piece of Anime that I ever read.  I was very sheltered growing up and was not introduced to anime through comics.  The only show that I had ever seen was Sailor Moon.  After reading this I have been persuaded to read a little more and try to expose myself to the anime culture.  This comic was pure for me. 

The comic presented strong morals but also presented a great quality in the images themselves.  The poses were very story and clear.  They were exaggerated to a decent extent but they were believable.  This is one of the first instances in comics where I have seen characters built to a humanesque form with such strong poses.  There is also a perfect amount of negative space and the characters are staged very well, creating conflict and relationship between character and their environment, and other characters.  Lots of attention was paid to the representation of who is important in the shot.  The close ups are reserved on for the main character so that the audience sympathizes with her.  The non important characters tend to blend in with the background, where as the main characters are contrasted and almost always silhouetted.  The whole piece is very graphic and designed in a clear and welcoming fashion.

The story and images also remind me of a very sci-fi kind of feeling.  Some pieces that come to mind include Battle Star Galactic, Star Trek and the Matrix.  The story and the images that convey this strong story could easily be molded to represent any of the above listed sci-fi stories.

Reading Battle Angel Alita was a very new experience for me, but I enjoyed every moment in getting the chance to read it.  I only have read the third piece of it and look forward to reading the rest in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment