Monday, May 3, 2010

Dance till Tomorrow

The graphic novel, Dance till Tomorrow, was both enjoyable and awkward for me to read.  Firstly, it is more geared towards the adult audience and the subject matter wasn’t one that I enjoy reading about.  I felt like I was intruding on someone’s personal business and didn’t feel comfortable having to become an observer in the main character’s personal and social battles.  What I did enjoy was how much it paralleled my Concept Development’s class lessons.

In reading Dance till Tomorrow, I was able to find proof that all these rules and guidelines I have been taught in my classes actually can be applied to create successful and clear representation of a story.  The characters are isolated in order to put the focus on them rather have them be confused with the backgrounds or less important characters.  Facial expressions are very clear and allow the reader to emote or have empathy for the character.  There is a lot of emphasis on the clear staging that is presented in the story.  There is no confusion as to where a character or is or what is their importance to that scene.  The images are very appealing and do not force to viewer to not interact with the story.  The images also use a lot of the guidelines used in visual development or story boarding.  Some of these include shot reverse shot, and keeping the characters owning their own side of the image.

 

This book was a delight to study as far as how to properly use the rules learned in my concept class, but the content was not for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment