Monday, May 3, 2010

Phoenix

The book Phoenix in the Karma series written by Osamu Tezuka was an absolute joy to read and it was another one of those comics that reinforced what I have been learning in my concept classes and my goals in my career.  The book itself went into really deep morals and gave the story reasoning.  I really liked this aspect of it because I am huge about living by ones morals and I tend to write my poetry in representation of different morals and have been trying to transfer it over to my concept boards for class.  This was an amazing piece to work through and study how Tezuka was able to successfully present his morals while not preaching them.  The book also contains a lot of content that is from the background of the his culture and in a sense brings honor to how he lived his life.

As far as the art aspect of the book, it was clear and very well composed.  I loved the graphic quality of the images.  All of the images read clearly almost as if they were part of animatic.  Tezuka use small phrases here and there, but they are not use excessive, just enough to complement the images.  The blocking in the frames was original and flowed with the story instead of a predetermined path.  The character designs were also recognizable and didn’t conflict with one another.  I was so please with Phoenix I just couldn’t put it down and I look forward to reading it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment