Monday, May 3, 2010

King

King was ridiculously amazing to read.  The use of graphics in the comic was unique and very intriguing.  I took a good half hour to look at just the cover.  It was so eye popping and enjoyable to look at. I could barely continue on to the inside of the book.  Eventually I did get to the inside and it was just as interesting as the cover.

 

The inside of the book was like a marriage between beautiful design and graphics.  Each page was unique compare the ones before it.  All of the images gave off an abstract feeling but the reader was welcomed.    Most of the images were in shadow, which made me want to further investigate that image, even though it’s a two dimensional space.  The book itself was a bit text heavy and the text for me became more of a distraction than something complimenting the images.  I felt that the images spoke very well for themselves and a few explanations hear and there would have sufficed.

 

My favorite part of this book was not the content of the book but how the images and the composition supported the content.  Each image has their unique qualities but they all share the common idea of piecing things together almost like a collage.  This aspect of the book really helps to bring out the message of trying to make opposites fit peacefully.  The styles used on each page change frequently and one could almost think that it was a different book that they were looking at.  The images used range from boxy, to photo realistic, to scratchy looking.  A lot of times one character will appear in multiple styles throughout the book.  It is from my observance that I came to the idea that the change of styles reflects the vantage point of the African Americans in that part of the book.

 

This is definitely one of my favorite comics that I have read in this class.  The content was very meaningful, and powerful but the images just drove the story for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment