Monday, May 3, 2010

Promethea

I was a little distant to read this comic for some reason.  Just hearing the name gave me flashbacks from Greek mythology lessons in high school and I was not sure if I really wanted to go through that experience again.  After starting that comic I could not put it down.  That piece was an absolute masterpiece!

This piece was one of my absolute favorite pieces to read this semester and I really and enjoyed the graphic images present in it.  The staging alone was so magnificent to study, but within the pictures but also between the images in relationship to the page itself.  That has to be my absolute favorite part!  The choices made to place the images and have them interact with one another are truly magnificent and beautiful.  The staging was not the only thing that appealed to me.

Some other things that were just simply icing on the top include: anime influences, and the graphic quality of the text.  Some influences of anime that I recognized are the silhouetted characters, strong poses and the facial expression that carry the story at times.  The text in the story was a bit lengthy at times and created this graphic mass, but the images spoke for themselves to in a sense that was the best way to include the text.

My final note on the piece is the orientation of the viewer in perspective to the actual comic.  A lot of the images are in a long panel format, which allows the view to feel like they are actually in that space.  The span of ones eyes is much like the long panel in the comic, which allows the audience to directly relate to the scene and the characters in the scene.

Simply amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment