Monday, May 3, 2010

Eightball

Eightball was extremely different from the comics that I have been reading earlier in the semester.  This is one of the first glimpses that I have gotten in the field of superhero comics.  Throughout my childhood I was never really introduced to comics; the only time I ever saw superheroes was on the television on various channels like cartoon network, or nickelodeon.  Reading Eightball gave me a completely new experience at looking at superheroes.

Eightball’s images and characters appeared very raw, and in some ways not appealing.  After living twenty years and seeing superheroes in their fleshed out designs and bright colors, reading this comic seemed was a bit dull.  Seeing it in a new fashion allowed me to really rip into what made up the style of that comic.  I found many things that were not appealing to the eye unless you looked at it as an artistic twist to the presentation of comics.  Some of things that stood out include the orientation of the characters to the environment and the over look of the piece.  The piece is very boxy in areas.  Sometimes the character appeared to have been drawn with boxes in perspective at first and then never finished.  There is not a lot of detail in the bodies of the characters or the background.  The bodies of the characters are very flat where as the face includes an excessive amount detail.  The details in the face makes the characters all look really old and creepy.  The overall look of the piece looks somewhat posterized.  The look works in some cases but not in others.

Overall the experience I got from Eightball was very unwelcoming and too abstract in character design for me to relate or feel comfortable.  I am glad I got to read Eightball to experience superheroes in their non-television format, but due to my history of seeing them on television I did not enjoy it that much.

No comments:

Post a Comment